President Salva Kiir and Riek Machar agree peace deal

The two men, whose enmity plunged the country into war in 2013 have agreed to hold further meetings soon
President Salva Kiir and rebel leader Riek Machar pledge to power-sharing deal

South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir and rebel leader Riek Machar on Wednesday vowed to stick to a November deadline for creating a long-delayed power-sharing government, during a rare meeting in the capital Juba.

During their second round of talks upon Machar’s first visit in a year from exile in Khartoum, the two men tried to salvage a peace agreement that has stalled on several key fronts.

“The parties agreed to establish the government in time. When I said in time it means on the 12th of November,” government spokesman Michael Makuei told journalists after the meeting.

A statement from the presidency described the meeting as “fruitful and open-hearted”.

Observers say a political deal between the historical rivals is the only way to move forward with the 2018 peace deal that has become stuck on key issues of security, and internal state boundaries.

Your Friends Also Read:  Six provisional candidates cleared for Mauritania polls

The two men, whose enmity plunged the country into war in 2013 only two years after a hard-won independence that has been marked by ethnic brutality and humanitarian suffering, agreed to hold further meetings soon.

“I told you earlier on that talks between us are going well. And we will reach a deal soon,” Kiir said after the meeting, exchanging handshakes with Machar.

‘Important progress’ –

Machar is seeking assurances about his personal security before permanently returning to Juba, which he fled under a hail of gunfire when a previous peace deal collapsed in July 2016.

He returned in October 2018 for less than a day to celebrate the signing of the peace deal.

“Juba is home and I have come back to Juba, even if I go away (again) for some time… we have made an important progress” in our discussions, Machar said.

Your Friends Also Read:  Algeria stage new mass protests against Bouteflika

Officials from Machar’s party said he has further meetings in the capital, and it is not clear when he is to leave.

His deputy Henry Odwar told journalists the men had also discussed efforts to mediate with rebel groups not party to the peace agreement, who have continued fighting in pockets of the country.

A ceasefire is generally considered to have held — outside of the Central Equatoria region where these holdouts have been fighting — however, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said Wednesday violence remained pervasive.

The organisation said in a statement that they “continue to treat a large number of patients with gunshot wounds”, with the number of patients even increasing since the peace deal.

The fighting in South Sudan has left about 380,000 people dead and forced more than four million South Sudanese — almost a third of the population — to flee their homes.

Your Friends Also Read:  Sudanese protesters reject new talks with military for 'absolute immunity'

The World Food Programme said Wednesday there was a slight improvement in food security as a result of the peace deal, however “more than half the population of South Sudan – some 6.35 million people – do not know where their next meal will come from.”


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article
Body of former Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe arrives Harare

Body of former Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe arrives Harare

Next Article
Nigerian court upholds President Muhammadu Buhari's February election win

Nigerian court upholds President Muhammadu Buhari's February election win

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App