The home of the Democratic Republic of Congo’s main opposition politician Moise Katumbi, who came second in the disputed presidential elections last month has been sealed off by security forces on Monday.
This is coming after several observers condemned the conduct and transparency of the December 20-24 election wherein President Felix Tshisekedi won a second term.
Katumbi, who emerged second with 18%, was among several main opposition candidates who ruled out mounting a legal challenge to the results, citing an alleged lack of independence of state institutions.
Logistical hindrances, an election day over-run, and a vague vote count fuelled a disagreement that threatened to further destabilise a country that is the world’s top producer of cobalt and other valued industrial commodities.
In a statement on Sunday, he urged the international community to not recognise the results announced by Congo’s election commission.
Earlier, he joined others calling for the annulment of the elections, citing “massive fraud”
Katumbi spokesperson, Herve Diakesse said security agents stormed the opposition leader’s secondary home in the southern province of Upper Katanga. The politician is locked in and has been prevented from leaving.
“We are struggling to figure out why,” he said in a call. The DR Congo’s government is yet to respond to the development.