‘State of terror’ reigns in Khartoum, residents fear for post-massacre tensions

Apart from an alarming presence of military forces in Khartoum, internet blackouts continued to beset the city.
'State of terror' reigns in Khartoum, residents fear for post-massacre tensions
Members of Sudan’s security forces patrol as Muslim worshippers attend Eid al-Fitr prayers marking the end of the holy fasting month of Ramadan on June 5, 2019 in Omdurman, just across the Nile from the capital Khartoum. – Sudan is at risk of getting bloodier with more violence and chaos gripping the country, according to analysts, after more than 35 people were killed in a protest crackdown this week. The Alliance for Freedom and Change that spearheaded protests which ousted Omar al-Bashir on April 11 had called for fresh rallies demanding civilian rule after Monday’s violent dispersal. (Photo by – / AFP)

Heavily armed paramilitaries roamed the Sudanese capital Thursday, forcing fearful residents to hide indoors after a crackdown on protesters that authorities admitted had left dozens dead and prompted the African Union to suspend Khartoum.

Members of the Rapid Support Forces, who rights groups say have their origins in the Janjaweed militias of Darfur, deployed on the streets in pick-up trucks mounted with machine guns and rocket launchers, witnesses said.

“We’re living in a state of terror because of sporadic gunfire,” a resident of south Khartoum told reporters.

He said he was “afraid for (his) children to go out in the street”.


This map of Khartoum shows the areas in the capital city of Sudan, where dozens have been killed so far during a crackdown on pro-democracy protesters by special forces attached to the country’s military.

As international condemnation mounted, a health ministry official told reporters that “the death toll across the country had risen to 61,” including 52 killed by “live ammunition” in Khartoum.

But it denied doctors’ claims that more than 100 people had been killed in the crackdown on protesters that began with a raid on a long-running sit-in outside the army headquarters on Monday.

The Central Committee for Sudanese Doctors said Wednesday that 40 bodies had been pulled from the Nile, sending the death toll soaring to at least 108.

The committee, which is part of the protest movement and relies on medics on the ground for its information, warned the figure could rise.

Your Friends Also Read:  Former Governor Of Nigeria's Kano State, Balarabe Musa, Dies At 84

The military ousted longtime president Omar al-Bashir in April after months of protests against his authoritarian rule, but thousands of demonstrators had remained camped out in front of the army headquarters calling for the generals to cede power to civilians.

Despite several initial breakthroughs, talks between the ruling military council that took power after Bashir’s ouster and protest leaders collapsed over who should head a new governing body.

‘Feeling of terror’ –

Some life had returned to the streets of the capital on Thursday, with limited public transport operating and only a few cars on the roads.

A small number of shops and restaurants were open on the second day of the Eid al-Fitr holiday.

But in Omdurman, just across the Nile from Khartoum, a resident said there was a “feeling of terror” about “many military vehicles with all these weapons”. 

Members of Sudan’s security forces patrol as Muslim worshippers attend Eid al-Fitr prayers marking the end of the holy fasting month of Ramadan in Omdurman, just across the Nile from the capital Khartoum. (Photo by – / AFP)

“We hope that this situation will end quickly so normal life resumes,” he told reporters.

At Khartoum’s airport, relatives of travellers stayed late into the night waiting to see if their flights would arrive, following a slew of cancellations over the past few days.

Internet blackouts continued to beset the city.

The African Union suspended Sudan, “until the effective establishment of a civilian-led Transitional Authority, as the only way to allow the Sudan to exit from the current crisis”, it said on Twitter.

Your Friends Also Read:  Moroccan police seize 27.3 tonnes of cannabis resin

The AU had urged the ruling generals to ensure a smooth transition of power, but the brutal crackdown to disperse protesters saw pressure mount on it to bring those responsible for the violence to justice.

The European Union said it joined the AU in calling for “an immediate end to violence and a credible enquiry into the criminal events of the last days”.

France called for the “resumption of dialogue” between the military committee and the opposition so that an “inclusive agreement is quickly found”.

‘Extreme caution’ –

The United Nations and the British embassy announced they were pulling non-essential staff and their families from Sudan, and the United States warned its citizens to exercise “extreme caution” amid the ongoing uncertainty.

Despite the heavy presence of security forces on Khartoum’s main streets, the groups that spearheaded the demonstrations against Bashir made a fresh call on Thursday for civil disobedience.

“The revolution continues and our people are victorious despite the terrorism and violence of the militias,” the Sudanese Professionals Association, the group that initially launched the anti-Bashir campaign, posted on Twitter.

It urged an “indefinite strike and civil disobedience,” warning against calls for violence.

In the northern suburb of Bahri, smaller roads were blocked by protesters putting up makeshift barricades made from rocks, bricks and tree trunks.

Your Friends Also Read:  Ethiopian Army General Blames '3rd Party' for Sudan Border Dispute

The protesters blamed the bloody crackdown on the “militias” of the military council.

The Rapid Support Forces have been singled out by protesters.

Some residents seemed wary of the heavy deployment of paramilitaries in the streets of the capital.

RSF commander, Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, widely known as “Himediti,” said he was on the side of the “revolutionaries” but warned he would not “allow chaos,” referring specifically to the barricades put up in some neighbourhoods.

The ruling Military Council issued a statement hitting out at the “campaign organised on social media aimed at spreading lies and fabricating accusations”.

It said the RSF “refused to carry out the orders of the former regime to expel demonstrators from the sit-in by force”.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article
Ethiopian leader in Sudan to lead talks with military, protesters | News Central TV

Ethiopian leader visits Sudan to lead talks with military, protesters

Next Article
Weah faces key test, as protests brew in Liberia over worsening economy

Weah faces key test, as protests brew in Liberia over worsening economy

Related Posts