Connect with us

News

Sudan approves new law dissolving former Bahir party, NCP3 minutes read

On Wednesday, local Sudanese media reported that the NCP had warned against any move to dissolve it

Published

on

Sudan approves new law dissolving former Bahir party, NCP
Supporters hold a banner during a campaign meeting of the incumbent president and candidate of the ruling National Congress Party (NCP) for Sudan’s presidency Omar al-Bashir on March 31, 2015 in the capital Khartoum, ahead of the April 13 parliamentary and presidential elections. AFP PHOTO / ASHRAF SHAZLY ASHRAF SHAZLY / AFP

The Sudanese government and Sovereign Council on Friday enacted a new legislation dissolving the country’s former ruling party, the National Congress Party, and also outlawed the Public Order Law that had infringed on the rights of many citizens, especially women.

“The endorsement of the two laws came in fulfilment of the revolution’s slogans in freedom, peace and justice,” Mohamed Al-Faki Suleiman, a spokesman of the Sovereign Council said in a statement after the joint meeting held for the first time with the Council of Ministers ended early Friday.

On Wednesday, local Sudanese media reported that the NCP had warned against any move to dissolve it or prevent it from exercising its political and legal rights.

But despite the NCP threat, the two powerful bodies which currently operate using executive and legislative powers due to the non-constitution of a transitional parliament yet agreed to endorse the “law for dismantling the June 30th regime and removing empowerment” which is concerned with dissolving the NCP and confiscating its properties and the “law for cancelling the public order law.”

READ: Sudanese protesters call for dissolution of Bashir’s National Congress Party

Sudan’s Justice Minister, Nasredeen Abdelbari, after the meeting, stated that “the law for dismantling the NCP comes in implementation of the constitutional document and it directly dissolves the NCP and seizes the party’s properties, money and affiliates to be affiliated to the Federal Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning.”

Abdelbari said the law stipulates the establishment of an 18-member committee to be tasked with instructing the concerned authorities to dissolve any government or partisan body, organization, union, commission, company or partisan arm that belongs to the June 30th regime and end the service of its personnel.

KHARTOUM, SUDAN – OCTOBER 21: A group of people stage a demonstration call for the disbanding of Sudan’s former ruling National Congress Party (NCP), which was headed by ousted President Omar al-Bashir, on October 21, 2019 in Khartoum, Sudan. Mahmoud Hajaj / Anadolu Agency

The constitutional declaration, previously approved by the sovereign council and the cabinet, stipulates that the council and the cabinet have the right to pass laws until the transitional parliament is established.

NCP is Sudan’s oldest party

The NCP, under former President Omar al-Bashir, had ruled Sudan for 30 years since 1989 until the Sudanese army ousted the government and party on April 11 amid popular protests that erupted in December last year. It is the successor organization to the Brotherhood-affiliated National Islamic Front (NIF).

Long steeped in controversy, the NCP and its precursors have associated themselves with such notorious terrorists as Osama bin Laden and a variety of extremist groups including al-Qaeda, Hamas and Hezbollah.

READ: Supporters of Sudan’s Bashir oppose handover to ICC

Although formally registered as a political party, NCP precursors have at times embraced genocidal violence against the country’s non-Muslims to advance their Islamist agenda.

Former President, al-Bashir was NCP chairman. He is currently on trial locally for corruption and stands accused at the International Criminal Court (ICC) for crimes against humanity, war crimes, and genocide for his violence against religious and ethnic groups throughout Sudan.

While strongly criticized by the opposition for its domestic policies, especially its harsh reaction to the rebellion in Darfur, the NCP has been widely credited for settling the second civil war in the South through an agreement in 2005.

In the 2010 general elections, which were boycotted by some major parties, the NCP won 324 out of 450 seats in the national parliament and majorities in all the state assemblies.

While the polls were criticized by observers for legal and administrative flaws, many analysts agree that the result did represent more or less the extent to which the NCP enjoys popular support, especially in the centre of the country.

READ: Sudan announces “permanent ceasefire” as peace talks hit deadlock

After the secession of the South, the NCP also included the DUP and some smaller parties in the government.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

Tell your story the right way

Have you witnessed a news worthy event? Want to become our citizen journalist and tell your own stories?

Send your stories to us or contact us via:
Email: Click to email us
Social media: Twitter and Facebook @NewsCentralTV
WhatsApp: Text or call +234 901 190 0000 .

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

News

UN condemns use of IEDs against civilians in Libya

“UNSMIL strongly condemns these acts, which serve no military objective, provoke extreme fear among the population, and violate the rights of innocent civilians…,” the UN said.

Published

on

A man inspects the wreckage of a car outside the Khadra General Hospital which is dedicated to treating people infected with coronavirus (COVID-19) in the Libyan capital Tripoli on April 8, 2020, after it was targeted by forces loyal to Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar. (Photo by Mahmud TURKIA / AFP)

The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has condemned the use of improvised explosive devices against civilians in the southern part of Tripoli, as the armed conflict between the east-based army and the UN-backed government continues.

UNSMIL “is extremely concerned about reports that residents of the Ain Zara and Salahuddin areas of Tripoli have been killed or wounded by improvised explosive devices placed in or near their homes,” UNSMIL said in a statement Monday.

“UNSMIL strongly condemns these acts, which serve no military objective, provoke extreme fear among the population, and violate the rights of innocent civilians who must be protected under international humanitarian law,” the statement said.

UNSMIL called on all individuals to “seek information and heed security advice to stay away from areas that have not been declared safe to enter by a competent authority or items of unknown origin which may be explosive devices”.

UNSMIL also commended the search and clearance work by Libyan Police and Military Engineers, reaffirming its continued support to Libyan partners, communities, and stakeholders “who are working tirelessly to rid Libya of the threat of explosive remnant of war (ERW)”.

The UN-backed government’s forces accused the rival east-based army of planting mines before withdrawing from conflict areas in southern Tripoli.

Since April 2019, the east-based army has been leading a military campaign attempting to take over Tripoli and topple the UN-backed government.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

Tell your story the right way

Have you witnessed a news worthy event? Want to become our citizen journalist and tell your own stories?

Send your stories to us or contact us via:
Email: Click to email us
Social media: Twitter and Facebook @NewsCentralTV
WhatsApp: Text or call +234 901 190 0000 .

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

News

Strike looms as public sector wage dispute enters arbitration in South Africa

Published

on

The ongoing face-off between workers in the public sector and the South African government continues. According to the Public Service Coordinating Bargaining Council (PSCBC), disagreement between the trade unions and government has moved the talks to arbitration for further hearing.

PSCBC General Secretary, Frikkie De Bruin explains that the arbitration hearings will begin by mid-June. An arbitrator will issue an award after the hearings are complete, with the matter potentially heading to court or resulting in a strike if the unions aren’t happy.

Ordinarily, public sector workers make up a third of South Africa’s expenditure. But with the coronavirus lockdown and income reduction, Pretoria seems unwilling to incur more debt.

If not handled carefully to appease the workers, the ruling African National Congress, (ANC) could lose its political dominance in the next local elections.

If no resolution is reached and the workers decide to resolve it an industrial action, it could erode all effort made by the government in the fight against the coronavirus.

The dispute started in February when the government affirmed that it could not fulfil its 2018 agreement on a three-year wage agreement.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

Tell your story the right way

Have you witnessed a news worthy event? Want to become our citizen journalist and tell your own stories?

Send your stories to us or contact us via:
Email: Click to email us
Social media: Twitter and Facebook @NewsCentralTV
WhatsApp: Text or call +234 901 190 0000 .

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

Business News

Ethiopia to divest 40% of Ethio Telecom

Published

on

The Ethiopian government is finalizing plans to sell a 40 percent stake in Ethio Telecom- the country’s sole telecommunication provider . The plan was announced by Ethiopia’s State Minister of Finance, Eyob Tekalign Tolina.

Ethiopia’s telecommunication industry is considered one of the last closed markets. It has been one of the government’s plans to liberalize the country’s economy launched by Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed. Ethio Telecom has a large market serving a population of around 110 million.

The government will retain ownership of the remaining 60 percent.

Foreign firms in the telecom sector will be invited to bid and a percentage of the minority stake will be sold to Ethiopian citizens. South Africa’s MTN and Kenya’s Safaricom have shown interest in expanding into Ethiopia in the past.

Ethiopia’s communications regulator says the country would proceed with the privatisation of the telecommunications sector despite the novel coronavirus outbreak.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

Tell your story the right way

Have you witnessed a news worthy event? Want to become our citizen journalist and tell your own stories?

Send your stories to us or contact us via:
Email: Click to email us
Social media: Twitter and Facebook @NewsCentralTV
WhatsApp: Text or call +234 901 190 0000 .

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

Trending