Sudan protest leaders threaten strike action if transition talks fail

Protest leaders had reached agreement with the ruling military council on the other main aspects of the transition.
Sudan's death toll rises, protesters reject military's call for fresh talks

Sudanese protest leaders called on their supporters Tuesday to prepare for a general strike after talks with the country’s military rulers stalled on who will lead an agreed three-year transition council.

Protest leaders had reached agreement with the ruling military council on the other main aspects of the transition.

But early on Tuesday, the generals who overthrew veteran president Omar al-Bashir last month baulked at protesters’ demands for a civilian head and a civilian majority for an agreed new sovereign council to lead the transition.

“In order to achieve a full victory, we are calling for a huge participation in a general political strike,” said the Sudanese Professionals Association, which took the lead in organising the four months of nationwide protests that led to Bashir’s ouster.

“The strike is our revolutionary duty and the participation in the sit-in … is a crucial guarantee to achieve the goals of the revolution.”

Protest leader Madani Abbas Madani told reporters the preparations for a “general political strike and civil disobedience” were already underway.

Your Friends Also Read:  15 African Countries Restricted from U.S. Travel as Trump Imposes New Rules

“Whenever we will decide on applying these plans, we will make an announcement,” said Madani, a prominent leader of protest umbrella group the Alliance for Freedom and Change.

The two sides launched what had been billed as a final round of talks on the transition late on Sunday.

The military council has faced pressure from Western government and the African Union to agree to a civilian-led transition -the central demand of the thousands of demonstrators who have spent weeks camped outside army headquarters in Khartoum.

When talks broke up early on Tuesday, neither side said when they would resume.

Protest leader, Siddiq Yousef told reporters they had been suspended.

Your Friends Also Read:  Tanzania investigates allegedly false Covid-19 tests, suspends top laboratory officials

“The main point of dispute that remains is concerning the share of representatives of the military and the civilians in the council and who will be the head of the new body,” the two sides said in a joint statement.

The military council has been pushing for its chairman, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan to head the new sovereign council but protest leaders want a civilian.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.
Your Friends Also Read:  Tunisia Appoints Ambassador To Libya For First Time Since 2014

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article
Maitresse d’un homme marié

Viral Senegalese soap opera stirs controversy in Africa

Next Article
16 suspected militants killed in Egypt's Sinai region

16 suspected militants killed in Egypt's Sinai region

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App