Ten Die in Guinea’s Post-Election Violence

Supporters of the main opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo of UFDG party, set up a fire barricade to protest against preliminary presidential election results that were announced by the election commission, in Ratoma district of Conakry, Guinea October 21, 2020. REUTERS/Souleiman Camara NO RESALES. NO ARCHIVES

No fewer than 10 people – eight civilians and two policemen – have been killed in post-election violence in Guinea after President Alpha Conde’s main challenger, Cellou Dalein Diallou, claimed victory and said the poll was marred by “anomalies”.

Guinea’s security ministry announced the death toll on Wednesday following last weekend’s vote.

Diallou’s supporters set alight piles of old furniture and burned tyres in some opposition neighbourhoods of Conakry, the West Africa’s country capital.

Police dispersed protesters with tear gas.

“Clashes broke out on the Prince’s Road. A policeman was killed,” Security Minister Damantang Albert Camara told Reuters news agency, referring to a major thoroughfare in the capital that runs through opposition strongholds.

Your Friends Also Read:  Magistrates in Algeria say they will boycott elections

Conde is seeking a controversial third term despite opposition saying it negates the provision of the constitution. Already, reports claimed the 82-year-old is currently leading after results from 14 out of 20 constituencies announced by the electoral commission.

Diallou accused Condé’s administration of modifying results in the incumbent’s favour.

President Condé has called for calm as the country awaits the official election results.

His controversial bid for a third term had led to protests before the elections during which at least 50 people died, according to Amnesty International.

Meanwhile, observers from the African Union (AU) and the Economic of West African States (ECOWAS) have said the presidential election was conducted properly.

Your Friends Also Read:  Nigerian startup orders fifty A220 planes from Airbus, dumps Boeing 737 Max

Addressing reporters in the capital, Conakry, Augustin Matata Ponyo, the AU’s head of mission in Guinea, said on Tuesday the ballot took place “in transparency”.

Jose Maria Neves, the head of ECOWAS’ monitoring mission, agreed the voting process was lawful and urged candidates to “use legal channels to settle election disputes”.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng


Leave a Reply

Previous Article

Kenya's COVID-19 Cases Rise to 46,144 With 497 New Infections

Next Article
Namibia warns against second wave of covid 19

Namibian President Urges Vigilance Against Second Wave of COVID-19

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App