Bouchra Karboubi, a Moroccan international football referee, is set to make history as the sole female central referee in the current Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON). Here are some interesting things to know about her, ahead of the Group A encounter between Nigeria and Guinea Bissau.
- Karboubi was appointed as the only female central referee for Nigeria vs. Guinea Bissau Group A clash.
- The game is scheduled to kick off today at 6 PM GMT+1 in Abidjan’s Félix Houphouët Boigny Stadium.
- Karboubi is among seven Moroccan referees appointed by CAF for the ongoing AFCON tournament.
- Jalal Jaid and Samir Kazzaz from Morocco to join Karboubi as the main referees for the match.
- Moroccan referees Mustapha Akerkad and Lahcen Azguaou to serve as assistant referees.
6. Redouane Jayed and Zakaria Brinzi designated as VAR referees for the Nigeria-Guinea Bissau clash.
7. Born in 1988 in Taza, Karboubi is known for her significant contributions to officiating both men’s and women’s matches.
8. Karboubi previously made history as the first female referee in Morocco’s top men’s football league in 2020.
9. Her journey began in 2001, overcoming family resistance to pursue a career in refereeing and achieving international status in 2016.
10. Karboubi started playing football at the age of eleven.