Connect with us

North Africa Sports

Tunisian Bouchamaoui To Stand For CAF Presidency2 minutes read

Published

on

FIFA Council member Tarek Bouchamaoui has declared his intention to contest the presidency of the Confederation of African Football (CAF) with incumbent president Ahmad Ahmad when the organization holds its elections next year.

Bouchamaoui, who sits on the CAF Executive Committee, announced his Presidential run in a letter to the Tunisian Football Federation (TFF).

The 54-year-old is the first African football official to officially confirm his candidacy for Africa’s top football post at beleagured CAF, which is set to hold its Presidential election in Rabat on March 12. More are expected to declare their ambitions in the coming months.

Bouchamaoui is also a member of the executive committee of the CAF and was head of CAF’s referees’ committee from 2011 to 2013. He has business interest in oil and textiles and was considered a close ally of former Tunisian President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, whose overthrow in 2011 sparked the Arab Spring protests.

The Tunisian football administrator was also named in connection with tax evasion schemes organised by HSBC’s private bank in Switzerland, but was not charged with any offences.

“I have the honour to confirm my decision to run for the Presidency of the CAF and to request your support and support for my candidacy to guarantee it every chance of success,” he wrote in the letter to the TFF.

Current CAF president, Madagascar’s Ahmad Ahmad claimed earlier this year that he had not decided whether to run for a second term.

His four-year stint at the helm of the CAF has been littered with controversy, including allegations of corruption and sexual misconduct.

The issues at the CAF prompted FIFA to effectively take over the running of the continental body last July, with Fatma Samoura installed as general delegate for Africa. Samoura held the role for six months but next to no information on what FIFA uncovered has been released.

An independent audit of CAF accounts carried out by PricewaterhouseCoopers earlier this year yielded a 55-page report which described the body’s records as “unreliable and not trustworthy”, although the CAF claimed the report contained “unfounded allegations”.

The report said that FIFA had remitted a total of $51 million to the African governing body from 2015 to 2018 and that since then, about $24 million of that amount had been disbursed by African soccer officials. In reviewing 40 payments totaling $10 million, auditors found that just five of the payments, adding up to $1.6 million, had sufficient documentation to confirm what the money would be spent on. The rest lacked information that in some cases made it impossible to identify the beneficiaries of the funds.

North Africa Sports

Salah Accused Of Diving In Liverpool’s 2-1 Win Over West Ham

Published

on

Liverpool’s Egyptian import, Mohamed Salah, has been accused of diving to secure a penalty that gave The Reds an equaliser after going down 1-0 to West Ham on Saturday.

Liverpool great Graeme Souness, who accused Salah of diving, said, “I don’t give that if I’m a referee in the Premier League. I’ve seen Salah do this time and time again. 

“This is totally an unnatural way to fall. Look, he doesn’t actually kick him, the West Ham player makes contact with his ankle.

“I think it’s careless and given an enormous invitation for Salah to throw himself to the ground.

“For me I think it’s a really harsh penalty and that’s coming from a Liverpool supporter.”

West Ham took a 10th-minute lead through Pablo Fornals, with the Spanish midfielder driving home after a poor header out from Joe Gomez landed straight at his feet.

Liverpool drew level just before the break when Mohamed Salah was fouled in the area by a clumsy challenge from Arthur Masuaku and the Egyptian, who had thrown himself to the ground dramatically, stepped up to dispatch the spot kick.

The Egyptian forward stepped up to fire home a penalty in the first half and level the scores at Anfield – but the circumstances in which the spot kick was awarded have divided opinion.

Substitute Diogo Jota grabbed the winner as Liverpool ground out a 2-1 victory over West Ham United at Anfield on Saturday to take the lead at the top of the Premier League and equal a club record of 63 home league matches unbeaten.

Defending champions Liverpool have 16 points from seven games, three points more than Everton who play at Newcastle United on Sunday.

“The world is in a difficult place and we are happy to be allowed to play football. So we have to try everything to win football games. It’s not about shining, or flying, or whatever, it’s about hard work,” said Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp.

“That was absolutely necessary against this opponent. It’s not about the simple stuff because they are too good for that – you need to be cheeky, tricky as well, and we were,” he added.

West Ham manager David Moyes was upset with the decision to award Salah a penalty after his reaction to contact in the box.

“I’m amazed that a penalty was given in the first half. I can’t believe that we’re allowing those sorts of penalties to be awarded,” he said.

“We weren’t clinical enough at times. We missed a couple of really good opportunities to get another goal. I wouldn’t say we were unlucky today, but I’m really disappointed when we were 1-0 up that the penalty was given.”

Continue Reading

News

Nigeria Begins Bid to Qualify For 2021 Afrobasket November 27

Published

on

Nigeria senior men basketball team, D’Tigers, will begin its quest to pick up one of the qualifying tickets for the 2021 FIBA Afrobasket on November 27, 2020.

The 2021 FIBA Afrobasket is being co-hosted by Rwanda and Egypt. But Nigeria will start her race for qualification against Algeria on Nov. 27 in Algiers. the North African country’s capital city.

The leadership of the Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF) has said that qualification for the 2021 FIBA Afrobasket Men’s tournament was non-negotiable.

Nigeria’s D’Tigers, 2015 champions in their last appearance at the Afrobasket showpiece, were second in 2017 behind Tunisia which also jointly co-hosted the event with Senegal.

According to a statement by the NBBF Media Coordinator, Afolabi Oni in Lagos the NBBF would put all logistics in motion to see the D’Tigers qualify.

It said that with gradual return of international basketball following the disruption of the global calendar due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NBBF has set its sight on a successful outing.

It also said that the NBBF President, Musa Kida, said preparations had started in earnest to ensure that the Olympics-bound D’Tigers qualify for its 28th Afrobasket tournament.

“We are aware of the huge task before us to ensure another seamless qualification for Afrobasket.

“We know that millions of Nigerians are expecting us to qualify without drama and that is exactly what we are working towards.”

“Currently ranked 26th globally and 1st in Africa, Nigeria is grouped alongside host – Rwanda, Mali and Algeria in Group D.

Kida stressed the need for early training camp and preparations to adequately get the team ready.

“No more minnows in African basketball. All the teams in our group deserve to be there and they deserve our respect.

“We need to prepare early and adequately to live up to pre-tournament ratings by pundits.

“We cannot afford to let our fans down. They are already looking beyond the qualification series from Nov. 27 to Nov. 29, and Feb. 19 to Feb. 21, 2021,”Kida said.

D’Tigers, who will be seeking her second championship title when the competition dunks off will conclude its first round of qualification campaign against West African opposition, Mali on Nov. 29.

The top three teams in each group will qualify for the 2021 FIBA Afrobasket tournament taking place in Kigali, Rwanda between Aug. 21 and Sept. 5, 2021.

Continue Reading

Featured

Algeria Coach Belmadi Extends Contract With Desert Foxes

Published

on

Belmadi has signed a new deal

Djamel Belmadi has signed a new deal with the Algerian Football Federation as he remains the coach of the Desert Foxes.

Belmadi has signed a new deal to keep him as coach of the Desert Foxes until the 2022 FIFA World Cup to be hosted by Qatar.

The Algerian football president Kheireddine Zetchi said Belmadi’s contract extension was important following his achievements in a short time.

“When Belmadi arrived as the coach of the Greens, he had made no conditions,” said Zetchi.

“The national team was going through a difficult period and it is to his credit to have placed the recovery of the technical situation before any other consideration.

“With what he managed to do in record time and in the most beautiful way, it is logical that after the continental coronation in Egypt, we have reviewed his contract.”

Algeria currently sit on top of their Africa Cup Of Nations (AFCON) qualifying table, with six points from two games as they are on course to qualify for the tournament.

Brazil 2014 was the last time Algeria played at the World Cup where they reached the Round of 16, before losing to eventual winners Germany.

The Algerian coach is looking to take the Desert Foxes back to the World stage and also making an impact.

“The objective will be to give everything and believe in the impossible,” Belmadi said.

“When we have done the work, when we have qualified, the objective will be to win it.

“We will now speak seriously, the objective will not be to just participate, the players do not set any limits.”

Belmadi replaced Rabah Madjer as the coach of the Algerian national team, following his failure to lead them to the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

In less than a year in charge of the Desert Foxes, Belmadi led Algeria to win the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Egypt.

Continue Reading

Trending