“Terrorist” attack leaves 2 soldiers dead in Niger -Interior ministry

“Following intense combat the enemy was pushed back,”
2 soldiers die after terrorist attacks in Niger
A soldier stands at a damaged house in Bosso military camp on June 17, 2016 following attacks by Boko Haram fighters in the region. – Boko Haram on June 9 attacked a military post in Bosso in Niger’s Diffa region, killing 26 soldiers. (Photo by ISSOUF SANOGO / AFP)

Niger’s interior ministry have said Two soldiers were killed and five others wounded in a “terrorist” attack in southwest Niger., a region that until recently had been spared jihadist raids, the interior ministry said Monday.

“A detachment of the security and defense forces (FDS) clashed Sunday with heavily armed terrorists in a valley near Dogon Kiria,” the ministry statement said.

“Following intense combat the enemy was pushed back,” it said, leaving two soldiers dead and five wounded, while the “enemy” casualties were not yet known. 

It was the second such attack in the Dogondoutchi region which up to now had been spared raids by armed jihadist groups.

Your Friends Also Read:  Benni McCarthy Dismisses Second-Season Blues Curse

In February, two gendarmes and a civilian were killed in an attack by armed men at Bagaji, a village in the region.

Dogondoutchi is near Nigeria but several hundred kilometres from where the Boko Haram jihadists have carried out deadly incursions in the southeast Diffa region of Niger.

On the other hand, Dogondoutchi is near Niger’s Tahoua region where several areas bordering Mali are under a state of emergency from attacks. 

Niger’s President Mahamadou Issoufou has called on the West and the United Nations to come to the country’s aid.

But the presence of French, American and German forces in Niger as well as the UN troops in neighbouring Mali has been unable to curtail the attacks which have been increasing.

Your Friends Also Read:  Nigerian Governors Deny Hoarding COVID-19 Palliatives

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
4
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article
Jacob Zuma's son denies offering $40 million bribe to former South African minister

Jacob Zuma's son denies offering $40 million bribe to former South African minister

Next Article

Fourth UN peacekeeper dies after Central Africa chopper crash

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App