U.N. Accuses M23 Rebels of Killing Scores of Villagers in Reprisal

The United Nations said on Thursday the M23 rebels executed at least 131 villagers in reprisal killings in east Democratic Republic of Congo late last month as part of a campaign of murder, rape, kidnapping and looting.

A preliminary investigation by the U.N. peacekeeping mission (MONUSCO) and the Joint Human Rights Office (UNJHRO) into the November 29-30 massacres in the villages of Kishishe and Bambo found they were undertaken in retaliation for clashes between M23 and rival armed groups.

“The victims were arbitrarily executed with bullets or bladed weapons,” the U.N. said in a statement.

Investigators interviewed 52 victims and direct witnesses, and various other sources in Rwindi, about 20 kilometres from Kishishe, where survivors and witnesses had taken refuge, the U.N. said.

Your Friends Also Read:  Nuclear Bid Opens as Senate Removes Power Sector From Exclusive List

MONUSCO condemns in the strongest terms the unspeakable violence against civilians and calls for unrestricted access to the scene and the victims for emergency humanitarian assistance,” the statement said.

The government has accused M23 rebels of killing as many as 272 people. The militia, which has captured several towns near the borders of Rwanda and Uganda this year, has denied responsibility and asked for a full investigation.

“We gave our version of the facts. We asked that there be investigations together with us in Kishishe but the U.N. never came,” M23 spokesman Lawrence Kanyuka told Reuters.

“The U.N. is under pressure from the government to come up with a figure, even if it is false,” he said.

Your Friends Also Read:  Seychelles’ Communities Educated On Dangers of Marine Plastic Waste

M23’s recent offensives have uprooted thousands of civilians and sparked a diplomatic spat with neighbouring Rwanda, which Congo and U.N. experts accuse of backing the militia. Rwanda denies any involvement.

The rebel group says it is ready to withdraw from occupied territory and will support regional peace-making efforts, despite not being represented in the talks, the third round of which concluded without resolution in Kenya’s capital, Nairobi, this week.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.
Your Friends Also Read:  Clashes in South Sudan Leave 27 Dead

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
24
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article
DR Congo Rebels Accuse Army of Killing Civilians (News Central TV)

DR Congo Rebels Accuse Army of Killing Civilians

Next Article

Armed Clashes Displace Thousands of Civilians in South Sudan

Related Posts