Connect with us

News

Video Showing Military Killing Naked Woman Is Fake – Mozambique2 minutes read

Published

on

Mozambique has described a video showing some men in military fatigues assaulting a woman before shooting her dead as fake.

The country’s defence minister, Jamie Neto, said the people involved in doctoring the video have been arrested and would be punished.

In the footage, some uniformed men were seen flogging a naked woman with a stick while labelling her al-shabab. When the woman attempted to flee she was shot in the back.

The two-minute clip had generated outrage and international consternation, with several organisations, including Amnesty International, calling for a probe.

The Mozambican Army had also condemned the footage as “horrifying” and said it would carry out an investigation to establish whether it was authentic.

Speaking on a local television station on Wednesday, Mr Neto said the video had been edited by “malicious people” to denigrate the image of the military.

He did not give further details but said the people responsible for creating the video would be paraded in front of the public and punished.

Troops would continue with operations to restore peace in the region, Mr Neto added.

The clip was believed to have been filmed in the gas-rich Cabo Delgado province, where government troops are battling militant Islamists, known as al-Shabab.

The group have pledged allegiance to the Islamic State militant group.

They have carried out a series of attacks on villages and towns in the area over the past three years, leaving more than 1,500 people dead and at least 250,000 homeless.

Government forces have been accused of human rights abuses while trying to put down the insurgency.

Last week, Amnesty International said it had analysed and verified videos showing attempted beheadings, torture and other ill treatment of prisoners, the dismemberment of alleged fighters and possible extrajudicial executions.

Mozambican government denied the allegations, saying the insurgents were known to “impersonate soldiers”.

News

Zimbabwe Arrests Six In Gold Smuggling Case

Published

on

Zimbabwean Police have arrested at least four people in connection with a high profile gold smuggling case involving a relative of President Emmerson Mnangagwa.

The case began after 53-year-old Henrietta Rushwaya, who is the President of Zimbabwe Miners Federation, was arrested at the Robert Gabriel Mugabe International Airport while attempting to smuggle 6kg of gold in her handbag to Dubai.

The gold was said to be worth about $333,000.

Steven Tserayi, one of the president’s long-term aides, was detained with her, according to local reports, and has been sacked by the president, but not arrested.

The police in Zimbabwe have confirmed the arrest of at least four people in the case.

The four include Ali Mohammed of the car dealership Ali Japan 786, whom Rushwaya allegedly fingered as the source of the four gold bars found in her luggage; two security services officers – Steven Cherai and Rafius Mupandauya – who may have been involved in the attempt to get Rushwaya through the security checks with her gold; and Gift Karanda who national police spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi last night said, when confirming the four arrests, had allegedly lied that he was a member of the Central Intelligence Organisation after he went to the airport to assist Rushwaya.

Rushwaya was arrested after airport scanners detected the gold. Police say she did not have the necessary export permits.

Ms Rushwaya, who appeared in court on Tuesday and is awaiting bail, denied the charges.

The prosecution believes that Ms Rushwaya is part of a wider smuggling ring.

Zimbabwe is a major gold producer, and in the past many smuggling rings have benefited from the protection of powerful politicians.

Continue Reading

News

Lagos Governor Awards Scholarship to Children of Policemen Killed During #EndSARS Violence

The Lagos State Governor added that the hospital bills of officers who were injured during the violence will also be covered by the state government.

Bernard Akede

Published

on

The Lagos State Governor

The Governor of Lagos State , Babajide Sanwo-Olu has awarded scholarships to children of Police officers who were killed by hoodlums during #EndSARS violence in Lagos.

The governor directed the Lagos State Scholarship Board to award scholarship to the children of the slain officers up to the university level.

The Lagos State Police Command bore huge loss in terms of personnel, armoury and properties in the violence.

The Governor of Lagos State said the State Government would also be compensating family members of the officers killed in the violence and that their burial arrangements will be taken care of.

The Lagos State Governor and his deputy standing alongside senior police officers in Lagos

The Governor 0f Lagos State added that the hospital bills of officers who were injured during the violence will also be covered by the state government.

In the same light, The Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike also pledged some compensation to police officers and their families who affected by the violence that followed the #EndSARS protest.

Wike announced that the sum of N20 Million will be given to the families of each of the soldiers and police officers killed by members of proscribed Indigenous Peoples Organization of Biafra (IPOB) in Oyigbo last week.

The Governor of Rivers State also promised to rebuild all burnt police stations in Oyigbo and vowed to ensure that the terrorist organisation no longer exist in Rivers State.

Wike stated this during a condolence visit to the Rivers State Commissioner of Police, Joseph Mukan and families of the slain policemen at the Rivers State Police Command on Wednesday.

“IPOB masterminded the killing of our gallant officers of the Nigerian Police and Army. We want to state clearly that Rivers State Government will support you to make sure that any of the perpetrators of this hideous crime does not go free. Enough is enough. You cannot continue to kill our policemen who have not done anything; who have not committed any crime,” the governor said.

Wike further assured the Commissioner of Police that the State Government will rebuild all police stations burnt by IPOB, and provide necessary support to police officers whose residence were vandalised and rendered homeless.

In response, the Rivers State Commissioner of Police Joseph Mukan thanked the governor and said that the Police and the Army have taken over all IPOB’s stronghold in Oyigbo and will ensure that the group cease to exist anywhere within the State.

Continue Reading

News

Mtwalo Msoni on South Africa’s Budget

Published

on

Continue Reading

Trending