Connect with us

News

Zamalek In No Hurry To Hire New Coach2 minutes read

Published

on

Zamalek club president Mortada Mansour has said that the club is not in a hurry to hire a new coach following last week’s shock departure of Patrice Carteron.

The club currently sit second on the Egyptian Premier League table with 58 points, a massive 25 points behind champions Al Ahly. They will also face Moroccan side Raja Casablanca in the African Champions League semi-finals in mid-October.

Mortada’s comments come following reports that the club’s number one candidate to fill the vacancy Jesualdo Ferreira turned down the position.

“Ferreira declined taking charge of Zamalek. He told us in a respectful way that his assistants are in different countries and that he would welcome taking the helm, but from the start of the new season,” club head Mortada Mansour told Sada El-Balad TV channel on Monday night.

“I told the committee that works on choosing the new coach that we are not in a hurry, and I say the same fact to Zamalek fans,” Mansour added.

The vastly experienced Portuguese tactician was first appointed Zamalek coach in February 2015. He led the club to their 12th Egyptian Premier League title, their first league title since 2004, and led the club to win a domestic double by beating Al Ahly 2–0, in the Egypt Cup final. He resigned in November of the same year following differences with the volatile Mansour.

He is currently out of work after being sacked by Campeonato Brasileiro Série A side Santos FC on 5 August after being knocked out of the 2020 Campeonato Paulista. The 74-year-old turned down Zamalek for personal reasons.

“To the Zamalek fantastic fans: I am really happy and proud about Zamalek’s invitation to lead the team again,” Ferreira said via his Instagram account on Monday night.

“Unfortunately, for personal and familiar reasons, I cannot accept this new challenge at such an important moment for the club. As a fan, I wish the best of luck for the team and hope for you to be African Champions! You will always be in my heart,” he concluded.

According to the Zamalek chairman, the club is now looking at six possible candidates including three other Portuguese coaches: Jesualdo Ferreira, Jaime Pacheco and Jorvan Vieira.

“I saw the financial demands of Pacheco, Calderon and the Italian coach, and I told the committee not to be in a hurry. There are three other coaches who joined the candidates’ list and they are all with respectable careers,” he added without disclosing further details.

Reports in the Egyptian media say 50-year-old Paolo Tramezzani, the former coach of APOEL, Livorno and FC Sion, is the Italian candidate for the job.

Another prominent name on the list is Argentine Gabriel Calderon, who has never coached on the African continent but has a rich experience in coaching in the Middle East. Calderon led the Saudi Arabia national team, Al-Ittihad of Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates’ Baniyas, in addition to coaching the national teams of Oman and Bahrain.

Central Africa Sports News

Cameroon Striker Bahoken Issued Suspended Prison Sentence

Published

on

Cameroon and Angers striker Stephane Bahoken has been handed a four-month suspended prison sentence with a fine of €2,000 for acts of domestic violence against his partner. He also has a three-month suspended sentence with a fine of €6,875 for traffic violation.

The Cameroon international striker was arrested by the French police earlier this week for allegedly assaulting his spouse and also threatening her with violence.

He came out of police custody after he was charged to court where he was punished for the traffic offence he committed in the summer and the domestic violence.

Bahoken released a statement through his lawyer, Florine Talon, vowing not to make anyone talk about him beyond the football pitch.

“The Public Prosecutor’s Office has chosen a measure of appearance on prior admission of guilt, an alternative option to the classic trial before a criminal court, chosen when the personality of the defendant and the relative gravity of the charges justify it,” the statement read.

“Mr. Bahoken, who is unknown to the courts, spontaneously explained himself and showed himself to be extremely cooperative with both the gendarmes and the magistrates.

“With regard to the acts with which he was accused, it emerges from the investigation that in isolation, Mr. Bahoken and his partner may both have had regrettable attitudes and words which fortunately remained at the stage of words, in the absence of blows.

“Be that as it may, Mr. Bahoken who has never wished to harm his partner, bitterly regrets these heated exchanges and wishes their separation will continue in the best interests of the child.

“In any case, Stephane Bahoken accepts his reprehensible behaviour, accepts the sentence without complacency. And does not intend to make anyone else talk about him beyond the football stadiums.”

Bahoken played for 80 minutes as Angers defeated Rennes 2-1 at the Roazhon Park in a Ligue 1 game. He now remains a doubt for their next league game at home against Nice this weekend having missed a lot of the training sessions this week due to his detention.

Continue Reading

News

Court Grants Former Bosasa COO, Angelo Agrizzi, bail

Former Bosasa COO Angelo Agrizzi was denied bail in his corruption and bribery case

Published

on

Former Bosasa chief operating officer Angelo Agrizzi has been granted bail by the Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg on Friday.

Agrizzi was denied bail earlier on October 14 by the Specialised Commercial Crime Court sitting in the Palm Ridge Magistrate’s Court. He appealed against Magistrate Phillip Venter’s ruling.

On Friday, Judge Ratha Mokgoatlheng averred that the court in Palm Ridge misdirected itself both in fact and law.

Agrizzi has been detained for two weeks after the Palm Ridge Specialised Crimes Court denied him bail.

Agrizzi is facing fraud and corruption charges. He stands accused of bribing influential individuals, including Vincent Smith, the then chairperson of Parliament’s correctional services committee.

Agrizzi has been detained for two weeks after the Palm Ridge Specialised Crimes Court denied him bail

Earlier this month, Agrizzi was moved from the Johannesburg Prison to a private hospital over breathing issues. Agrizzi was hospitalised, allegedly on ventilators after going into cardiac arrest while in custody.

The National Prosecuting Authority’s Investigating Directorate accused Agrizzi of lying in his previous bail affidavit last year.

He told the court that he and his wife’s moveable assets were valued at R2.6 million when in fact they amount to over R30 million.

On Monday, Agrizzi’s lawyers declared his doctors were finding it difficult to treat him because he is chained to a bed and there were too many armed guards in his ward.

They demanded that he be released on bail because he is at high risk of contracting COVID-19 due to his pre-existing chronic medical condition.

His lawyers argued that his denial of bail was unfair because he had so far cooperated with investigations, the state capture commission, and has no prior convictions.

Continue Reading

East Africa Sports News

Tusker FC Sign Former Gor Mahia Defender Ochieng

Published

on

Tusker FC sign former Gor Mahia defender Ochieng

Kenya Premier League side Tusker FC have confirmed the signing of former Gor Mahia defender Wellington Ochieng.

Tusker FC have been strengthening for the new season as they look to challenge for the Football Kenya Federation (FKF) Premier League title.

“Ochieng’ is now our player, he signed with us yesterday [Thursday],” Tusker FC chairman Daniel Aduda said.

“He is an experienced player who will give us much-needed experience at the back. Ochieng’ is also versatile and I believe he will be a valuable asset to the team.”

A couple of weeks ago Ochieng was released by his club alongside Edwin Lavatsa.

The defender is the third player signed by Tusker FC in the transfer window. They started by getting experienced centre-back Eugene Asike to extend his stay at the club by one year. Goalkeeper Robert Mboya also extended his stay at the club by another season as well.

Christopher Oruchum was the first signing for the former champions from the 13-time champions AFC Leopards.

“One of the things that motivated me to sign for Tusker is that Tusker is one of the biggest clubs in Kenya whereby we stand a chance to be exposed to big teams in Africa and outside the country,” the defender said after completing the move.

“Having joined a team that was high-flying the previous season, I hope and pray that I will also add something and also help the team to achieve more than they achieved last season.

“There was a time I was really close to signing for Tusker when I was at Thika United but the deal did not materialize then I ended up going to AFC Leopards, then from there I have the chance again of joining this great club, which I have longed to play for.”

Tusker FC last won the league trophy four years ago.

Continue Reading

Trending