In the aftermath of the bye-elections conducted nationwide on February 3rd, a cohort of 12 fresh members has been officially sworn into the House of Representatives.
Speaker Hon Tajudeen Abbas presided over the induction ceremony, administering the oath of office to 12 out of 15 members-elect. These newly minted representatives were bestowed with their certificates of return by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) during the parliamentary session.
Emerging victorious in the recent bye-elections and court-ordered reruns, these 12 individuals assume their roles as elected officials in the House of Representatives.
The auspicious occasion was graced by Senator Ifeanyi Ubah, who recently transitioned from the Young Progressive Party (YPP) to the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), expressing solidarity with fellow YPP members.
Remarkably, four political parties – APC, PDP, YPP, and LP – secured victories in the reruns and bye-elections. However, the outcome of elections in the Jalingo/Yorro/Sing Federal constituency of Taraba state and Udenu Federal constituency of Enugu state remains pending.
Although three other members have received their certificates of return from INEC, their official inauguration will be scheduled for a later date.
During the ceremony, the Speaker furnished the new members with copies of the House standing rules and the Legislative Agenda, underscoring the significance of adhering to established protocols and legislative priorities.
Among the newly inaugurated representatives are:
- Umar Garba (Ngaski/Shanta/Yauri Federal constituency of Kebbi-APC)
- Ifeoluwa Ehindero (AKoko North East/North West of Ondo-APC)
- Faud Kayode Laguda (Suru Lere 1 federal constituency of Lagos- APC)
- Saleh Gabriel Zock (Kachia/Kangaroo federal constituency of Kaduna -APC)
- Daniel Asama Ago (Jos North/Bases federal constituency of Plateau-LP)
- Rabiu Kamba (Arewa/Dandi federal constituency of Kebbi- APC)
- Emma Ukpong Udo (Ikono/Ini federal constituency of Akwa Ibom YPP)
- Dr. Emil Inyang (Akamkpa/Biase Federal constituency of Cross River- APC)
- Peter Uzokwe (Nnewi North/Nnewi South federal constituency of Anambra YPP)
- Chinwe Nnabuife (Orumba North/Orumba South federal constituency of Anambra- YPP)
- Adamu Yakubu (Birnin Kudu/Buji federal constituency of Jigawa-PDP)
- Yusuf Umar Yabo (Yabo/Shagari federal constituency of Sokoto-PDP)
- Husseini Jallo (Igabi Federal Constituency of Kaduna-PDP)
- Yusuf Dalhat Tafoki (Faskari/Kankara/Sabuwa of Katsina APC)
- Mohammed Buba Jajere (Fune/Fune federal constituency of Yobe-PDP)
The induction of these representatives marks a significant milestone in Nigeria’s parliamentary landscape, heralding a new era of legislative representation and governance.