Connect with us

News

Workers In Nigeria’s Ogun State Call Off Warning Strike2 minutes read

Published

on

Workers in Nigeria’s Ogun State have suspended a seven-day warning strike which began on Wednesday.

The workers had embarked on the action to demand the payment of the N30,000 minimum wage as promised by Governor Dapo Abiodun. They also asked for the remittance of their cooperative deductions, payment of leave bonuses among others.

Three days into the industrial action, Organised Labour in the state announced its suspension, saying some of the workers’ grievances with the state government have been resolved.

The unions called off the warning strike after deliberation with the government in Abeokuta, the state capital.

The Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Tokunbo Talabi, who led the state delegation at the roundtable, said that the government recognized the legitimacy of the requests and demands made by labour.

He, however, noted that all differences could not be resolved at once but a comprised between the workers and the government have been reached.

He said, “We have gotten to a point of where we feel that the differences have been so reduced that our lives can move on.

“It has to be continuous; we are bound to have differences in opinion which we will come to an agreement.”

Reading out the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), Ogun Chairman of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Emmanuel Bankole, gave reasons why labour called off the strike.

He said that organised labour acknowledged state government’s willingness to meet the requests of the state workforce, after considering affordability and sustainability of government towards accommodating the resultant increment in view of the state’s present financial standing.

Bankole said some of the issues resolved included the implementation of the new minimum wage to commence in October; payment of gratuity; outstanding promotion arrears of 2018 to 2020 and the 2020 Pension Amendment Bill, among others.

He explained that N500m had been earmarked for the clearance of gratuity on a quarterly basis, while payment would commence latest by January 2021.

“The meeting agreed to suspend action on the proposed Year 2020 Pension Amendment Bill with the plan to constitute a committee comprising both representatives of government and labour to take an in-depth look into the issue.

“The meeting also agreed that other demands by organized labour would be subject of joint reviews, the first of which will be in March, 2021,” he said.

Bankole, who was accompanied by the Joint Negotiating Council (JNC) Chairman, Olanrewaju Folorunsho, and Acting Chairman, Trade Union Congress (TUC), Akeem Lasisi, appreciated the government for its prompt response.

He also commended government’s commitment to sustain payment of gross salary henceforth.

The labour leader, however, prayed government not to victimize any of its members for the roles played during the industrial action.

He promised that the state workforce would reciprocate the good gesture of government with continued dedication to duty.

News

140 Migrants Drown Off Senegal’s Coast, Says IOM

Published

on

The United Nation’s International Organization for Migration (IOM) has said no fewer than 140 migrants bound for Europe drowned off the coast of Senegal when their boat sank.

The boat was said to be carrying around 200 people at the time of the incident last weekend.

The boat caught fire and capsized on Saturday, shortly after leaving the town of Mbour, the agency said.

About 60 people were rescued, according to reports.

It is believed the migrants were attempting to reach mainland Europe via Spain’s Canary Islands.

This route from West Africa has grown in popularity since 2018.

Saturday’s incident was the deadliest of its kind anywhere in the world this year, the UN said.

“We call for unity between governments, partners and the international community to dismantle trafficking and smuggling networks that take advantage of desperate youth,” said Bakary Doumbia, IOM’s representative in Senegal.

According to the Spanish government, more than 11,000 arrivals have been recorded in the Canary Islands this year compared with 2,557 during the same period last year.

A previous peak, in 2006, saw 35,000 migrants arrive in the archipelago, the UN said.

At least 414 people are known to have died along this route so far this year according to the IOM. A total of 210 fatalities were recorded on the same stretch in the whole of 2019.

Continue Reading

News

22 Boko Haram Fighters Killed In Failed Bid To Raid Nigerian Army Camp

Published

on

The Nigerian Army killed no fewer than 22 Boko Haram members when the terrorist group attempted to raid a military camp in Damboa, Borno State.

According to a statement by the Coordinator Defence Media Operations, Major General John Enenche, the Boko Haram fighters attacked Army Super Camp but were subdued by the superior firepower of the troops.

“Troops of Operation FIRE BALL under Operation LAFIYA DOLE has continued to decimate members of the Boko Haram/ Islamic State of West Province in order clear the remnants of the terrorists from the theatre,” the statement read.

“Consequently, on 25 October 2020 in what could appear to be a suicide journey the BokoHaram/Islamic State of West African Province attacked the well fortified Army Super Camp Damboa under 25 Bde in Sector 2.

“The terrorists met their waterloo as they were pounded with superior fire power and additional fire support from the Air Task Force. The criminals withdrew in rout as they could not withstand the well organised and determined soldiers during the encounter”.

The statement added that “the Boko Haram terrorists suffered severe casualties as 22 terrorists were neutralized others escaped with varying degrees of gunshot wounds, 2 Gun trucks destroyed, One NSV Anti Aircraft Gun, 2 Rocket Propelled Grenade Tubes, 4 PKT Machine guns, One General Purpose Machine Gun, One Browning Machine Gun, 12Ak 47 Rifles, One AK 74 Rifle were recovered.


Others were, “one RPG 7 bomb, 116 Rounds of 7.62mm NATO and 2 Hand grenades were recovered from the terrorists.

“Few of own soldiers were wounded in action and have since been evacuated and receiving medical treatment”.

“The troops of Operation Fire Ball under operation LAFIYA DOLE are hereby commended for the resilience, doggednes and commitment exhibited since the beginning of Operation FIRE BALL. They are equally encouraged not to rest on their oars but build on the successes recorded.

“The entire populace of the North East are hereby assured of the Nigerian military high command determination to finally rout the remnants the BHT/ISWAP criminals from their enclaves in this zone.”

Continue Reading

Central Africa News

Militants Kill 18 In DR Congo

Published

on

At least 18 people have died when Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) militants attacked Bayeti village, Mamove locality in Beni territory of the eastern Nord Kivu province in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The attack and killings is the latest incident in a region where the army and UN forces are fighting several armed groups.

The ADF victims, most of them in their homes, were killed by gunshots and knives.

The attackers also set fire to several homes, churches, and businesses at 19:00 local time on Wednesday, they said.

The head of a civil society group in Mamove, Kinos Katuho, said locals had spotted the attackers earlier in the day.

“The residents had seen the enemy [attackers] from midday. We had gone to report to the FARDC [army] elements based in Bayeti, but they were unable to prevent the attack and protect the population,” he is quoted as saying by the Actualité website.

At least 42 people have been killed by the ADF in Mamove since 3 October, Mr Katuho said.

The ADF, whose origin is Uganda, has been blamed for many attacks in eastern DR Congo in the past few years. Many other armed groups also operate in the region.

In the past year, the Islamic State group (IS) has claimed responsibility for several attacks blamed on the ADF.

Continue Reading

Trending